Friday, March 26, 2010

Shameless Plugs

I am all for actors doing self promotion of a project that they feel passionate about but might play to an empty house if no one knows about it.

However,

When someone posts on Facebook 37 times in one week that they "are doing a play" or "come see my play" or "hey, you should be in the audience of my play", I'm going to get tired of you. Self promotion is fine. We all want to get people's butts in the seats, but for fuck sake, moderation would be a good thing. Do they really think that I am so addle-brained that I cannot remember they are doing a play? If you look on the right hand side of the FB screen, there is an space that says "events".

I get it. But the more I get it the more I am inclined not to attend your play. Or maybe I'll work on a Quid Pro Quo system. You come to see my show, and I will come to see yours. If you never have seen me in a play, then good luck. I'm not going to show up.

I do Shameless Plugs for the shows I am in: Once a week for 3 weeks of the run. I don't innudate the shit out of my friends. I know people are busy and have real lives. If they see me perform, cool. If not, maybe next time. I act because I love it. I'd be up there whether there was anyone in the audience or not. I don't need to know anyone in the house. That is kind of a bonus if I know someone.

One person has told me about the show they are in. Fine. But going from that posting I also got messages from the director of the play and the writer of the play. I don't know these people. But I'm not going to the show. I suddenly don't want to go to the show that has been a fly buzzing around my head for 4 weeks.

And I'm taking a break from FB for a bit. I may even hide the people that are constantly posting things about their shows. MODERATION. DON'T ANNOY THE AUDIENCE.

No comments: