Sunday, June 14, 2009

Hamlet's House




Okay, It's actually Kronberg Castle in Helsgnore, or in English, Elsinore.

Being the actory type I am I thought it would be cool to see the House of Hamlet. I got off the train in Elsinore, and there it was to the right of the exit. It was still 1/4 mile away or so, but it's a castles, so therefore, BIG. It is obviously a castle, but different from the English style of castle. It has copper spires. I have lots of pictures.

As I walked up to it I noticed, and I saw them other places too, purple wild flowers that had been bundled in a small bundle and left around. Like a mad Ophelia figure wandering around with flowers strewing them here and there. Like in the play. It was a little weird, and I might be the only one who noticed. These flowers were not growing in the area, at least not that I saw.

The castle is impressive. I was thinking of lines in the play as I wandered the grounds; how Polonius was under the stairs and you would nose him soon enough. In the chapel, the fair Ophelia... On the battlements, Who goes there? And of course the ghost walking them the past 3 nights...

I went under the castle into the Casemates. It was lit solely by oil lamps. I took pictures with a flash, just so that I had an idea where I was going. It was dark, and I could see my breath. It had to be about 40 degrees down there. But very cool. And in my head theré were monsters in the dark. Thanks horror movies...

There was the story of Ahmled, and his father the king was killed by his brother who then married the queen. He had to act mad to escape being killed, there was an Ophelia in the story. An English playwright named Kyd wrote the original Hamlet, and old Bill took it and made it unforgetable. The Kyd version is lost to antiquity...

1 comment:

shelly blaisdell said...

I feel like an idiot that I dont know the story of Hamlet. But the mysterious bundles of flowers are very very cool!