Saturday, June 20, 2009

Deliberateness

I have been commenting in my journal and to some friends by email that it feels like I have been travelling for a very long time. Today I think I figured out why I have that feeling.

In LA I live a life somewhat similar day after day. To get food I go to the kitchen. To entertain myself there is the tv, internet, friends. To go somewhere I get in my car and go. When tired I go to bed. I can experience 20 days in the blink of an eye.

But out here, travelling, I have to live a lot more deliberately. None of the things I do or take for granted are easy here. I have to figure out where to find groceries every few days because i am in a new city. I have to find internet for free if I can. Whether that means going to the library 2 klicks away or finding an internet cafe because the hostel might not have internet access. I have to figure out how to get around on the subway, buses or trams. Everyday is new, and I have to think a lot more than I do when my life is normal and easier.

Things take more time and I need to put more thought into all of it. At the end of the day I am a lot more tired than I am from a normal LA day.

Soon I will have the months flying by as I forget how to be deliberate...

No comments: