Friday, September 13, 2013

San Diego Comic Con Day 3

This was the day I had been waiting for. The whole reason I was there. This was Film School day 3 where Sean has a group of actors onstage talking about low budget filming. A number of the people from last year were on the panel and then there were 2 new people. # of the previous year's panel were not there.

I always get a little freaked out when talking in front of large groups. It sounds silly coming from an actor, but if I'm in a play or on set, I'm technically not me. Since there was only an hour we had limited things we could cover. It was cool to hear from the 2 new pwople on the panel because I'd heard some of the stories previous years. Though, my stories hadn't changed much from last year either.

We finished the panel and hung out in the hallway chatting with people who were in the audience. They usually want to chat, ask questions, etc. It's nice to hang out. After 30-45 minutes I left and wandered around. Zack was busy with work commitments and I wandered amilessly.

Now at Comic con there are booth babes. These are hot women hired by the dealers to catch the eye of the males in the crowd and draw them into the booth to talk about products or things for sale. As I was walking  from one side to the other side a girl working a booth caught my eye. She was very cute and reminded me of a friend of mine. I was looking at her as I was fighting my way thru the crowd. She was also looking at me. it was an interesting connection with a stranger. Like 2 animals checking each other out. Because I was going to meet someone I couldn't stop and chat her up. But we kept eye contact for a good 100 feet. Which is tough to do. The next day when I was free I tried to find her and the booth she was at. But like a mirage in the desert she wasn't to be found and I couldn't be sure exactly where I saw her. None of the booths looked like the one she was at.

Anyway.

In the afternoon I put on another costume. The Scarlet Spider from Spider-man's clone saga from 1995 or so. It's a costume I've had since it was used in a masquerade in 1995. It's tight lycra and it still fits me. I wandered back to the convention hall from the hotel. Again people took my picture and little kids had their pictures taken with me. It was fun. People are generally polite and ask if they can get my picture. I ask when I want a picture of someone too. But wouldn't I be just the biggest asshole if  someone asked if they could get my picture and I said, "No."

Because the costume has a mask I'm completely unknown. And sometimes they take a picture and I say, "Do it again, I blinked." That gets a laugh. While in costume I ran into my fellow panelist Valerie Perez. She's an actress and well known cosplayer. She is one of the best Wonder Woman cosplays you ever see. We walked around a bit together until I had to go change for dinner. Zack and his wife and friends of theirs, we were all going to dinner at this Mexican place in Old Town.

Dinner was fun. There was 10-12 of us. One of the people there had a son that was interested in acting. So I chatted with him about acting. What to do, what not to do, what is a rip off, what to look out for. His dad was listening but not saying anything. I told him the truth. I didn't try to discourage him, but I didn't sugar coat just how tough of a business it is.

After dinner I was dropped off at home. The plan was to meet in the morning and go to the Midway museum.

1 comment:

shelly blaisdell said...

Gotta do this with you some day . . .