Sunday, January 8, 2012

Timing

I had a crazy timing thing show up in my life recently.

I was in Culver City helping some friends film something on a Friday afternoon. I left after 3:30 pm to go home. This is not the time to be on the 405 going North. It was foolish, but I though it might not be too bad. I was wrong. It sucked.

As I drove I thought about the things I needed to do. Costco was on the list. So I decided to go to the Costco in Van Nuys. It was on the way home.

So I'm in an unfamiliar Costco looking for things but can't find them. When I finally find the 4 things I'm looking for I get in one of the lines at the checkout. 2 people behind me in line is a guy I went to high school with in Scottsdale. We used to hang out in the drama department, did shows together and whatnot. Honestly, he's a bit of an egotistical douche. I saw him before he saw me and I turned away. Did I want to talk to him? I'd tried emailing him a couple times in the last 3 years for various reasons and never heard back. The emails I would get from him were more like solicitations for money for charity or some such.

He came over and said "hi." I don't know for sure, but I don't think he called me by name. We chatted for a minute or 2. The usual recap for the time since I last saw him. He asked if I was on Facebook. I said reluctantly. I should friend him.

That gets into the whole friend/acquantance thing... See, years back he said he would help me with my acting career. I never heard back from him when I tried to get his help for certain things. Yeah, people have lives and they are busy, but if you say "I'll help you," fucking do it. It's not a grudge per se, but when I say I'm going to do something, I do it. And I'm fucking early.

So since I saw him at Costco, he has not sent a friend request. Did he remember my name? I don't know.

As I was leaving the Costco I ran into someone else I knew. He, I thought, was back in England where he lives. He was visiting for the holiday, but I thought he was back in Birmingham. Nope.

The timing part. What are the odds I would run into 2 people I knew in a Costco I don't frequent. One I haven't ween n maybe 3 years, and one who should be in another country. My route getting there that day was a long strange trip, all the forces that delayed or sped me up got me into that checkout line and exiting at that specific time.

Is this the universe saying I should talk to the guy from high school again?

Or is it a strange coincidence? Hmm...

No comments: