Thursday, October 20, 2011

Update on Death


Okay. I was a little bit behind the information curve when I wrote that last post about my friend waiting to die. He died the day before I wrote it. Maybe 2. I don't have the exact information. Mike is in the middle of the first row between the two couples. This was the production of Much Ado About Nothing we did in 1995.

He was a funny guy. The friar in the play is the guy who keeps the whole story from going off the rails and having it become a tragedy. In the wedding scene when Mike did the ceremony, he snuck a little ad lib in there. Since people generally don't get all Shakespeare wrote (I believe Shakespeare wrote his plays. There is an earlier blog about why I believe so. Don't think the movie Anonymous is a documentary.), Mike would slip in the following joke.

Friar: To Honor. Get on her and stay on her.

This would sometimes get a laugh if the audience caught it. But Shakespeare certainly did not write it. Probably the only reason is because he didn't think of it.

He was a member of the Magic Castle and a magician. He also taught me the magic trick of doing a hand pass and making a coin disappear. When I did it for him after practicing, he said, "that was really good." Coming from him, that was a compliment.

He was a funny gracious guy. He will be missed.

No comments: