Monday, October 10, 2011

An Unexpected Wedding

I went to a wedding this past weekend with less than 5 hours to be ready from the time I was invited to the time it started.

I went to see Real Steel. Great flick. Lots of fun. I cried. It's Rocky with robots! How can you not like that? But I digress. My phone vibrated. It was a text from my friend Jen. She was getting married that day. I was not invited because it was a small wedding with LOTS of family. People flew in from other countries! So while I was a bit disappointed it was OK. If things had worked out differently I would have been out of town for the first 2 weeks of October anyway. No worries.

So I went out of the movie theatre into the hallway. I could still see the movie, but I wouldn't disturb the audience. There was a cancellation at the wedding. I could come if I wanted. I replied OK.

I didn't have time to get a gift or a card. I'll do something later. So after the movie I went on with my day and then home to get dressed. The wedding was nice. It was a wedding and the groom was nervous. The minister told him to speak up. And to tell her, the vows, not him. Both big laugh lines. The bride, a trained actress, rocked the vows. And later rocked the Eminem the DJ played when we danced.

After the ceremony, OPEN BAR until 7 pm! YAY!. I drank red wine. I like wine. It works. So I wandered around and chatted with the people I knew. I was funny because that's what alcohol does. Takes the editor off-line. Dinner was announced and I went to the dining room.
I was seated, as someone else, at a table where I knew no one. I finagled my way to a table where I knew everyone. Thanks to the guy who was shooting video who agreed to move. He'd be working anyway... Thankfully the person I was the understudy for ordered the steak. If it had been the veggie plate I would have grumbled and eaten all the dark chocolate treats at the table.

We ate. There were speeches and then dancing. I was solo since I didn't know if there was a +1 with the missing man. Also how do you ask a date, "want to go to a wedding today at 4:30?" That would be crazy. Dancing was fun.

I left at 11 pm. All in all, It was a fine night and I got to see a good friend tie the knot. I wish them all the happiness in the world. And that is a lot of happiness.

No comments: