Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Facebook #5

After a year I still don't have much use for Facebook. I look at it most days and maybe once every 2 weeks post something. I do look at what people are posting but only comment rarely. When I am commenting I have to think, "Will I end up with a lot of emails in my inbox?" because I'm getting every following comment. If the answer is yes, I may not post.

I have blocked a few people. Actors mainly. The ones who are telling me 5-10 times a day that they are in a show with 3 performances on the weekend. I fucking get it. You are in a show. Great. Does posting (bugging people) constantly on FB get their asses in a chair? Doubt it. Because I can tell you I didn't go see these shows. I have also blocked all the games on FB and I blocked the daily messages from God. (I wonder if there are daily messages from Allah, or Buddha?) If God wants me to know something I figure there's other ways to convey a message. Burning bush worked for Moses.

The people who post every little thought that goes thru their heads make me wonder if they ever have a thought of consequence. I have lots of trivial thoughts, but they aren't really important enough to shout to the world. And the thoughts that I'd like to shout to the world are too personal. How do you write something like, "Mom's severely depressed and wishes she were dead?"

I have an issue with the privacy thing as well. I don't like the applications that give access to all my information, and the information of my "friends". I know this social network is a platform for data mining like no other, but I don't want to have my identity stolen. It's pretty easy with the basic information. Hometown. Date of Birth. Mother's maiden name. And there is an app that tells people where they are at any moment. When I see that on the wall, I want to comment, "Stealing your flat screen TV!"

I have seen people get support for when their dad died unexpectedly. That is nice. But this thing glorifies the trivial and mundane.

"I like toast with cream cheese", but I'm not going to update my FB page when I'm having it as a snack...

No comments: