Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Razors and Shaving

A razor is personal choice. What feels good on one face may not feel good on another face.

Electric or manual? one blade? 2 blades? 3 blades? 4 Blades? 5 blades? A manual with 5 blades vibrating with a small battery in the handle? A blade with another blade on the inside with 3 more blades, and each of those blades has 5 blades in an ever increasing exponential orgy of cutting the whiskers on your face! AAAAAAHHHH!

Because if one blade is good, 2 is better, which is eclipsed by 3 blades rocking the world! But 4! 4 blades has to be better because its more than 3. But wait! 5 blades in a vibrating handle wielded by a hot blond stripper! What could be better than that? (Ok, got to admit I like the stripper idea.)

I shave every 2-3 days with a Gillette Sensor Excel. It's 2 blades. But the real bitch? It's been around for a long time which makes it old. And no one wants to use what's old. Manufacturers seem to think that if something is old, no one will want it, because new is always better. I'm not Hugh Hefner when it comes to shaving. I don't need a new 23 year old every time. (Hm, strange analogy, but I think you get the point.)

I don't like the angle of the 5 bladed razors. I don't like the way it cuts the hair from my face. I always am afraid I'm going to slice large sections of my face off. And since there are 5 blades I can be much more efficient about the massacre.

Because what I like is an older shaving system, the refills are out there, but just as expensive as when the system was new. You'd think they'd discount the blades. I used to buy in bulk at Costco, but because it's old, you can't buy refills for my razor anymore. Nothing less than 3 blades.

This consumerism may be best illustrated in the toothpaste aisle. How many types of Crest do you see? How many Colgates? The whitening, anti-cavity, tar tar controlling, anti-plaque, gel with baking soda and pommegranate for sensitive teeth. Seriously, if you brush you teeth 2-3 times a day with something as simple as baking soda, you will keep your teeth clean. We've been convinced things have to be complicated and NEW.

No comments: