Monday, October 20, 2008

BIG Trucks

I drove a big truck to Tahoe recently for work. It's called and 18' truck, but that measurement is for the inside space. The truck really is about 24' long. And the driver's seat is actually taller than the roof of my car. So I can see a long way compared to my sports car. Now the truck was full of equipment and I got an average of 7 MPG. That's not a typo. 7 MPG. The way to Tahoe is very mountainy, so I was standing on the accelerator just to go a slowing 50 miles an hour. I got there in about 8 hours. Then collapsed with weariness.

Now when a Big truck is behind you, or you go whipping around it on the road or freeway, do you really take into consideration that the truck doesn't have the kind of agility of a car? And if it has a trailer it is not able to stop on a dime. While I was driving I had idiots of all types treating me like I was in a big slow car. If I had to swerve, the truck is probably going to go over as I try not to kill you because any correction then requires another correction and an over correction until I either get it right or crash.

Also, I have maybe 2-4 tons worth of weight behind me and I will drive up your ass if you make me stop suddenly? This will most likely kill you. And I'd be sad for a day or two, but the herd has to be thinned somehow.

I was much more patient than I ever am in my fast little car. I had to be. I was looking for all the stupid people out there on the phone or not paying attention. And to get pissed off at me is ridiculous. I was driving steady. They were the ones being reckless. And any entaglement I get in, I WIN.

No comments: