Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Random Meeting at a Bus Stop

I dropped my car of at a mechanic this morning and had to take the bus to get home. I'll get the car back tomorrow afternoon. At the bus stop was an old man. I saw him walk by the mechanics shop. He had on khaki pants, a button up shirt with a tie under a Christmasy sweater. Over that was a green suit jacket. It was threadbare in a few spots. He had a couple pins on the jacket. VFW was the one that caught my eye. He was a veteran. From his age I guessed he was in WWII. In 30 minutes I waited for the bus, he told me a lot of his life story. 
 He was a WWII vet, fought on D-Day, but I didn't learn what his job was. When he was in Normandy during D-Day, he was talking to a wounded soldier. The guy said he was 15 years old. He was a big guy so he didn't look his age. The man, Larry, turned him into the CO because he was 15. The guy was pissed at getting sent home, but he was too young to fight. He wanted to go back and fight. Admirable thinking, but he's only 15. Larry may have saved his life. It makes me think of an early M*A*S*H episode "Sometimes You Hear The Bullet," when Hawkeye turns in Ronny Howard for being to young to be in the war. Ron Howard says "I'm never gonna forgive you for this! Not for the rest of my life!" To which Hawkeye replies, "Let's hope it's a long and healthy hate."
He also had a friend who survived the Indianapolis sinking. Look it up. It's a very famous military tragedy at sea. Robert Shaw talks about it in Jaws. 
Larry also hung out with Jimmy Durante and Ella Fitzgerald and other Hollywood types. He knew Tom Hanks when he was doing Bosom Buddies. I don't know if he worked in the studios, but he seemed to be in the business somehow. Behind the scenes I think.
He has lived in the same apartment in Burbank for 60 years. First with his mom and family, then on his own. the rent back then was $125!!! Now his rent is $1145. He now has a nephew living with him, but he doesn't do anything or contribute to the household funds. But "he's family and you put up with that shit, right?"
He had strong political views and he cussed a lot. Considering the circles I work in, cussing is not shocking to me. Most of his political views I would disagree with. But I wasn't there to argue with him. I was waiting for a bus. He seemed like he wanted to talk. So I listened. It was his monologue so I let him talk. It was interesting.  Who am I to interrupt? 
Thanks for the morning chat, Larry.

No comments: