Monday, August 12, 2013

Comic Con Preview Night

So I missed the entire month of July without posting. Oops.

I went to the San Diego Comic Con preview night. In the past this was an exclusive thing. It was meant for the pros and insiders and vendors. It was really exclusive.

Now, not so much.

I got there Wednesday afternoon. I got my badge and met up with friends. Because it was preview night and that started at 6 pm, there was milling about trying not to stand in one place for too long because security would come by and say, "You can't stand there." So we would move 30 feet and stand again. The LINE to enter was upstairs. Comic Con loves lines. Huge ponderous never ending lines where common sense would do something different.

We thought that they would open the doors at the front of the 1/2 mile long building and let people into the room. Nope. The line to get in is upstairs. And a mile long. So much for exclusive. Fine. "Can I cross over there 50 feet to go to the bathroom?" "No." "I can piss on your shoes."

So we had to go upstairs to the line that was longer than the length of Disneyland. Fuck lines. There are 50 door on the front of the building but we have to go thru a mile long line. As we were winding our way thru the stanchions, I noticed a guy behind me in line. He had ONE LEG and was going thru the line on crutches!

Are you fucking kidding me?!? This guy is obviously disabled and they make him go thru a long line? If I was him I would have gone to the security guards and said can I get in without going thru a mile long line? And when they said now I would call over their supervisor and ask if they ever heard of the Americans With Disabilities Act. If they said I had to go in the line I would pull out my phone and ask them to tell me that again, and ask if they cannot accommodate a one legged man. Then I would call a lawyer in front of them and sue their ass for 35 million dollars.

I am not litigious. I don't generally like lawyers and think a lot of things could be fixed with a fist fight, but this was a stupid situation. If I was a lawyer I would have given him my card and told him I'd represent him for free. Just to fuck over the ludicrous security at Comic Con.

When we got into the dealers hall we started looking around. I don't follow toys much and didn't know of anything that I might find cool that would be a limited edition thing. Zack did want something. But some of the rules to get things from the Hasbro booth were arcane. You had to stand in line to get a stamp on the back of your badge to then stand in line at the booth to maybe get the limited edition toy. Hell no. That was not going to happen.

I saw some cool things. But none were so cool I had to have them. There was only one thing that was remotely that cool to me. A Hulk statue from Sideshow Collectibles from World War Hulk. Brilliant. and 2 feet tall. I could put it next to my other 2 foot tall Hulk... But it was $600. And that made it uncool to my wallet.

After a bit I left and went to hang with a friend. I was staying at their house for one night. I had gotten 2 capes for his little girls. The bags from Comic Con all had capes in them advertising some project or another. I got the capes from 2 guys who were going to throw them away. Obviously because they are too cool to wear capes. The girls loved the capes and ran around in them until bed time.

My hosts went to bed and I followed suit. I'd see Bill on Friday because I was getting him in to the convention as my guest.

Day 1 tomorrow...

1 comment:

shelly blaisdell said...

Every girl should have an Uncle Brad.