Monday, May 13, 2013

DRIVE!!!

As I drive around LA I am paying attention to the task at hand. Driving safely.

When I'm behind someone I can tell when they are looking at the road and when they are looking at a device like a phone. It is obvious in the lag time between things they should be paying attention to  and their reaction time to act.  Their head is turned slightly to the side so they can look at a phone or pad. The number of people holding a phone to their heads is staggering. There's a law against it, but people don't care.

It pisses me off that people cannot put down the phone long enough to drive from place to place. When I was in Vegas last week, i kept having people run inot me because they were walking and looking at their phone. A woman who bumped into me said "Excuse you!" I replied. "I'm paying attention. You're the one not looking where you are going." She was shocked. But I was angry and she backed away.

Now imagine that disconnection with your surroundings and add a couple thousand pounds of steel and momentum.

Hands free doesn't mean holding the phone away from your head while driving. There should be a feature on the phone where it will not function if it is moving faster than walking speed without a bluetooth activated.


1 comment:

shelly blaisdell said...

I've often thought the same thing: There should be a build in shut off when you are driving . . some how . . .
I've started putting my purse in the back seat when I get int he car, just to train my mind to think of it as off limits.