Saturday, March 23, 2013

Loser Conventions

I don't know if I have posted about the conventions and seminars that people go to to boost their self worth and make them feel better about their lives, but I have worked a bunch of them in the last decade.

I bring it up now because I had a phone call recently from someone who called during a break  in one such seminar to tell me he doesn't feel that we are close. That I only contact him when I absolutely need to. He's right. We aren't close. He wants to support me as an actor but doesn't know what I'm doing. As far as acting goes, not much. My agent is not getting me out and I'm endeavoring to find a new one in between working and surviving.

He invited me to one of the seminars so I could see what it's like. Not  a fucking chance. I've seen it without paying stupid amounts of money to have a huckster blow smoke up my ass. Everyone in the room hugs everyone else. It's a gospel church for those who aren't religious. There are positive messages and people walk out feeling great. But then they get back in their shitty car, go back to their shitty life and cannot maintain the euphoric feeling the seminar gives them. But the seminars cost. It's a cult of feeling good that is perfectly legal and so seductive to the disposed.

I hate to sound like an asshole, but I don't buy the package. Literally or figuratively. At one of these seminars I saw a package for the system, whatever they were selling, it was a $55,000 value which you could get for $13,000! Are you fucking kidding me? Who says what they are selling has a value of $55,000? Certainly not me. But when you are caught up in that oceanic feeling of interconnectedness, that might seem reasonable. So you tap you credit cards, your savings. your kids college funds to make you feel better about yourself.

I don't want to tell this person to stop searching. He feels empty and is looking for something. That's admirable. But seminars are crap. PT Barnum was nice compared to some of these guys.

Religions require the same sense of belief and a fraction of the cost. And when you die, you go to Heaven! 

Such a deal.

1 comment:

shelly blaisdell said...

wow . . I have a gazillion comments fo this one . . . have to do it in person.