Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Pismo Beach



Pismo Beach California is about 3 hours north of LA. I went there for work. I have to say, It's pretty beautiful. What I saw of it. I was up there for work, so I would leave in the morning when it was dark and get back to the hotel when it was dark. I had one late afternoon to get the shot above.

The hotel we were at was on a cliff overlooking the beach. There are quads to rent and it's one of the 2 (I think) beaches in CA where you can drive a vehicle on the beach. There's a famous place we stopped called the Madonna Inn. They have themed rooms and amazing cakes. One of the guys I was working with said the toffee crunch cake was the best thing he ever had in his mouth. I have never felt that way about cake. Or most food for that matter. He wanted to buy a whole cake and bring it home but his wife nixed the idea. Then on the last day one of the locals we were working with bought the toffee cake and gave it to him. Technically he didn't buy the cake. We had some of it for lunch with the pizza that was delivered.

Up in Nipomo, on the one exit from the freeway for Nipomo, is a steak place called Jocko's. It's world famous. Not for decor which is straight out of the 60 diner era, but for steaks. There is usually a wait to get in so make a reservation. Now I'm not a foodie in any sense of the word, but this was a damn good steak. It was kind of like a baseball in size, maybe a little bigger. I got it medium rare and it was maybe one of the best steaks I ever ate. Not great on presentation, but great. Cooked over oak coals outside the place. And it comes with a salad, and ice cream at the end.

The work was fun. Long days but it was nice to get out of LA for a bit.

1 comment:

shelly blaisdell said...

even a few steps out of LA is good for the soul.

I always like to get a glimpse of your life away from our usual activities.