Saturday, January 19, 2013

Breakfast

Breakfast has been ruined. After eating my default breakfast of Cheerios for a couple decades, something happened. Cheerios has changed.

I noticed it when I poured the cereal into a bowl. There was a really strong smell of something. Wet cardboard? The cereal was dry, but the smell was different from normal and so was the consistency and the taste. Now food changes all the time. Everything is "new and improved" because businesses have a hard time thinking that we will stop buying something if we like if it isn't new. No where on the box does it say "New! Improved taste" Or anything like that.

In case it was a bad box, a fluke, I tried another box. Nope. The same. I went and bought a box from a different store. Nope. Same weird smell. It was enough of a weird smell that my stomach roils at it.

So I went looking for a new default breakfast cereal. I went to the cereal aisle at the store and bought 5 different things. I honestly didn't know what other cereals tasted like because I found something I like and just stuck with it.

With the experimentation I discovered that 4 out of the 5 I didn't like. Cornflakes weren't bad, but they got soggy very fast. The others I didn't even go beyond  spoonful or 2.

On a whim I picked up the generic Cheerios substitute from Trader Joe's and Kroger. The Trader Joe's had a similar smell as Cheerios, only less. I didn't like the smell so I didn't eat them. The Kroger brand was close and I have now switched my default breakfast to almost Cheerios.

Fuck, I'm a weird creature...

1 comment:

shelly blaisdell said...

Yes Brad. You are. While I want to say your obsessive attention to a breakfast cereal is very very silly, I must admit that I've spent nearly a month looking for the exactly perfect tiny purse for my new phone. Obsessive? particualr? us? nooooooooo