Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Ode To A Douchebag

Walking to the ATM with muted purpose I notice a guy dressed for a jog on his cell phone leisurely crossing the street. Is he going to the ATM at my corner bank too?

Yes.

By mere milliseconds he gets to the ATM first. I stop to the side about 5 feet away. He immediately takes offense. "What's your problem?" he says barely stopping his cell phone conversation.

"I'm waiting for the ATM." I say

"You're standing to close." He replies.

"I'm 5 feet away." I say.

"You need to step away. You're being rude."

"I'm not going to stab you in the heart and take your card," I reply in a laconic non-threatening tone. "There's witnesses." I lightly point to the 4 dozen people in line at the Honey Baked Ham Store next to my bank. It's the day before Thanksgiving so there is a line down the block.

"You go first." He proceeds to back up to the curb and talk loudly on his cell phone about the rude guy at the bank. He says I need to learn manners. Ignoring him I quickly do what I need to do at the ATM and leave.

As I am walking away he says loudly, "You need some manners." 

I continued walking away thinking on his manners. He was more rude than me to the world in general talking on his cell phone like he was in his own house. I'm sure the people in line thought he was more of a rude person than me, though they didn't hear the "stab in the heart" comment I flippantly tossed out.

It's the holiday season and the douchebags are in full bloom.

No comments: