Saturday, November 17, 2012

Death To Twinkie

I never have eaten a Twinkie.

I am a particular eater, and some things I never have eaten. Brussel Sprouts, for one, and Twinkies, for another.

I always liked Ding Dongs, and Cupcakes. I also liked Zingers which were Dolly Madison before they were bought out by Hostess. But Hostess went out of business this week because of a bunch of bad business decisions. Honestly, I think they got "Bained." Seems to me like they got the same kind of treatment for their money problems that Bain Capitol (I'm blaming you Mitt) did with a bunch of other businesses.

I went around to 15 stores after work yesterday to find some of the treats I liked, but people had already gotten there and snatched them all up. This was kind of sad. I found a box of cupcakes and 2 boxes of Chocolate Zingers, and a 2 pack of Ding Dongs.

I ate them as a kid, but not so much in the past 20 years. I'd get a box of something every once in a while as a guilty pleasure but not often. They are tasty, but supposedly bad for you.

With luck some company will come along to resurrect Hostess and their signature treats. Bimbo foods owns Sara Lee, Thomas English Muffins, and Enteman's. They seem to be the perfect choice. If they are watching the news, they are noticing a frenzy of people buying up hordes of Twinkies and Ding Dongs.

Ebay has become a haven for Twinkie profiteers. I saw a 24 box got for $30. It's crazy.

And sad for all the people out of work because Hostess went hardline on labor negotiations.

They need to eat a Ding Dong and fuckin' relax.

1 comment:

shelly blaisdell said...

Twinkies were an American icon. They stood for every girl's eating diorder in the 70 and 80's. I salute them.