Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Immortality


I remember this group from when I was a kid. I found this newspaper ad in some papers last night. I clipped it out because I had personal dealings with this group. I was a bus boy at a restaurant in a resort in Scottsdale. This group was a cult like any other. But this one had a twist. They promised immortality, in the body you had right now. Physical immortality.

All you had to do was give the guy running the cult all your money.

They would come into the restaurant to eat, but had no money to pay. So the hostess would just add the charges to the room of the leader of the cult. It was crazy. They seriously thought they would live forever. I'd never seen cult like belief before. But I've run into it since.

It's amazing what people will believe either because they are afraid of dying, or bamboozled by a charismatic huckster.

They would lock the doors to the ballroom when they had their meetings. I wrote a short story based on it. It had a Twilight Zone bent to it. Basically, the cult leader was a demon and dragged all their souls to Hell after taking all their money...

No comments: