Saturday, March 31, 2012

Lottery Fever

I didn't win the $640,000,000 million Mega Millions lottery yesterday. That's okay. I had 5 quick picks and didn't feel the need to buy more than that.

The odds are long. 1 in 176,000,000 if the news stories are to be believed. When the lottery is $640 million there is a sure fire way to win. Buy up 176,000,000 lottery tickets. That would cover every possible number combination. It could only really be done by a billionaire with a lot of time on his hands or some hedge fund as a way for a sure fire return on money spent. You would win.

But there's also a chance that someone else would also have the numbers. The profit would be less and you might not cover the expense of buying every possible combination.

Though I didn't win, it was fun to think about what I would do with that kind of cash. And for $5, that's not bad. Like they say, you can't win if you don't play.

2 comments:

shelly blaisdell said...

it really is the coolest raffle in the world. I'm thinking of starting one myself. Want in?

spartacus said...

I found a lottery ticket on the ground 2 days after the big jackpot. It had 10 draws on it. I won $10 from a ticket I didn't buy. It's the most I won off the lottery in ages. Wonder who lost it. Bad luck for them. Good luck for me.